Celtnet: how to make money online
Internet Marketing Make Money Online

Friday, July 14, 2006

Using Blogs to get your Site Indexed


Or not...



It's often said that writing a Blog, pinging this to a number of blog sites and getting it listed in Blog indexes can help with the indexing of your site and that a frequency of about two posts every week is about right for this. On learning this I thought it would be a great way of getting more of my site indexed in the main search engines.

As a result I started increasing the post frequency on this blog and began using pingoat to ping the main blog directories when my blog had been updated. The frequency increased to twice a week and then every other day (sometimes more frequently). Once I had sufficient content I also began adding the name of this Blog to some blog directories, spreading the word about the blog's existence as wide as possible.

I also attacked the 'look and feel' of the blog, adding links to important pages and areas of my site. By June 29th the Blog had been crawled and about six pages from it entered Googles Index on July 3rd. Then, on July 4th those pages vanished from Google's index. The Blog was spidered again on July 9th and on Jul 11th all the Blog pages as well as ten additional pages from my main site that were referenced by the blog were in Google's index. Of course on July 12th I lost my site (see the story below). On Jult 13th, wen my site came back up the pages were still in Google. Then, today on July 14th all the 30+ pages relating to this Blog had vanished again!

Is this another example of Google Losing the Plot? Basically a page should either be good enough to be included in Google's index or it should not. This 'is it there, or isn't it?' is a complete madness, however you look at it. It either suggests that Google's indexing system is broken, or it indicates that they're out of space on their servers and are dumping certain indexed pages based on some kind of quality algorithm that seems to make little or no sense to me.

It's no surprise that many sites are becoming completely frustrated with Google. Especially as Google's taking their usual attitude of 'everything's fine'. Despite trying to do everything right I've almost given up on getting Google to index the vast majority of my site and I'm relying on advertising to get traffic. Which is maybe Google's whole strategy here: trying to get as many people to used their AdWords system as possible. After all, if your pages are never going to enter their index what else can you do?

Admittedly I've had a very frustrating week and despite working very hard to improve and extend my website I'm seeing very little advance for all this work, but from what I see out there on the 'net I don't think that this problem is entirely limited to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home